Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Man in the High Castle

One woman that I highly admire is Susan Wise Bauer. She wrote The Well-Trained Mind as well as many other books that support homeschoolers. This year on her blog she is cronicling her way through 52 books in 52 weeks. One of the books she reviewed was The Man in the High Castle. It caught my eye and I decided to try it out. It is an alternate history -- written as if the Japanese and Germans won WWII. I've always been fascinated with this time frame. It was an interesting book, although hard to get into at first. I had a hard time understanding why things were happening until I was a chapter or two in. This book is really about what we think of as "reality". Each character is put in a situation that makes them questions their reality. This is definitely not a book for everyone but I enjoyed it.

No comments: