Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Inkheart

I love books. They take me to other worlds, tell me thrilling tales, and show me events that will never occur in real life. Why am I talking about books? This book is about books… and what can come out of them. When a man named Mo reads aloud one night people come out of the book, and he discovers that he can read people and things right off the printed page. Every chapter of this book is brilliantly written, the characterization is spot on, and the story, story within the story, and character stories are all wonderful. The author, Cornelia Funke, did a fantastic Job with this book, and there was only one thing about it that I found annoying. The perspective of the story changes way too much! At one moment there’s the young girls perspective, then her fathers perspective, etc. and because the perspectives kept being changed the magic of the story was a little dulled. I’m going to give this a 8.5/10, because of that, but I must say that it was one of the few books that took a while to finish, so if you want a long fantasy book with magic and reality just read Inkheart.

No comments: