Monday, September 15, 2008

The Supernaturalist

Eion Colfer, the author of The Supernatualist, is a great writer, but somehow his writing talent slipped here. The story is filled with character development, plot lines, plot twists, and the overall story is a good one, but the writing I found dull. When I started the book I found the sentences short and choppy; quite good for new readers but not too fascinating to bookworms like myself. And there are few descriptive words. One example is a kissing scene (kissing scenes are normally full of adjectives about how the person is feeling) where all that was said was that the characters kissed one another. Another thing I found annoying was that although this is set in the future, where there are many new technologies, few devices get described and a couple times I had no idea about what the author was describing. I’m giving this a 7/10 for good story line, which makes up for the writing, but this book, which I expected to be for teens, should probably be set at a 10+ level, though if you’re tired one day and are not reading into the details, a young adult would probably like it just as much.

No comments: