Friday, September 5, 2008

A Thomas Jefferson Education - Book Review

There are many ways to homeschool. My family started out classically, following the suggestions in the book The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. While I still look to their book and website for ideas, I have been following the Thomas Jefferson Education (TJed)homeschool philosophy for the last several years. The change has been gradual but has grown out of the necessity of meeting the needs of my 4th son. My three older sons thrived on the rigorous drills, memorization, and reading that The Well Trained Mind suggests. The are all avid readers and writers. My oldest is already working on his first novel!My 4th son is different though. He didn't like reading. He still doesn't like writing. He is very intelligent but learns in his own way. He and I were constantly butting heads with the old way of doing things. I started looking for something that might help and was able to attend a "Face to Face with Greatness" seminar that George Wythe College put on. I was hooked.

TJed has 7 keys to great teaching: classics, not textbooks; mentors, not professors; inspire, not require; structure time, not content; quality, not conformity; simplicity, not complexity; and YOU, not them.All four of my older sons have blossomed with this new approach. My 4th son is now reading at an 8th grade level (he is only 9). My 12 yo twins are focused and spend their free time learning new skills. Both are accomplished musicians who love to share their talent with others. And my oldest (14 yo) is self-confident and a leader among his peers. I highly recommend reading A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille. If you are looking for specifics on how to apply this philosophy I would recommend two other books DeMille helped write - Leadership Education: the Phases of Learning and A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion.

If you would like to get an idea of one way our family is applying Thomas Jefferson Education in our home take a look at my other blog: A Business Adventure - Homeschool Style

No comments: