Monday, October 27, 2008

Phantom Tollbooth - from Mom's perspective

I know A has already reviewed the Phantom Tollbooth but I read this too and I just LOVED it! I really think that it was written for adults... well, maybe not, but adults should read it. There is so much symbolism and metaphors that I don't think that kids get it all. They just don't have the life experience yet. One example is the part where Milo, the main character, goes to a town that has disappeared. Everyone in the town has stopped looking at the town around them, Reality, so eventually it just faded away. The could move to Illusion, the town that you can see but isn't really there, but most don't. They just keep walking with their heads down and not looking.

I'm teaching a class about personal finance to a group of young adults and I want them to read it. It really is a book that shows how your attitude about things changes your reality. Milo starts out bored. He has things around him that he just doesn't appreciate or even see and it takes this "trip" through the Phantom Tollbooth to open his eyes. The lessons that are taught in this book are ageless. I highly recommend this for any age! It would be a wonderful read aloud.

No comments: