Monday, October 6, 2008

Story of the World

One of the reasons I originally decided to homeschool was how I learned history in public school. One year it was the history of Ancient China, the next California history, the next US history. It made no sense and I was given no sense of how it all tied together. I feel, especially as our world gets smaller and smaller, that it is imperative to know how history builds on itself and that no nation lives in a vacuum. As I've written before, I started out homeschooling following "The Well-trained Mind." One of the authors, Susan Wise Bauer, wrote a history curriculum that is perfect for an intro to history for younger readers (or listeners, as the case may be.) Our family has loved the Story of the World series. We have several of the books on CD (Jim Weiss is the reader). If anyone wants to supplement what their kids are learning in school this is the way to go for history. I turn these CDs on in the car and it goes almost completely quiet. A miracle! We are on the second time through and are supplementing it with Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and other books for A & M. J is on his own reading Bauer's History of the Ancient World, her first world history book in a series for adults. Evidently he is really enjoying it. I'll have to suggest he write a review...

No comments: